Wednesday, July 22, 2009

GROUND ZERO - 1998 (otomo yoshihide)


otomo yoshihide, the noise musician extradonaire is approaching or already has turned 50. Hence this year is packed with Otomo events and exhibitions throughout tokyo and of course other parts of japan. Just to think that Otomo, noise musician has become a fixture of society would have been unthinkable over 10 years ago. Of course ground zero, his main band at that time (1998) had achieved a certain amount of fame per se and toured through europe and america. since then partly due to dedication, connections, musical variation, etc. he has achieved the type of noteriety that many wish they had. Like his contemporary, Otomo has a zillion musicians at his disposal to achieve various projects and he also NHK support to make one of his cash cows, soundtracks. Otomo originally started working internationally producing the phenominal soundtrack for THE BLUE KITE. This was a chinese film and at that time, he was very concerned with collaborating with other asian musicians. Those times died after ground zero's dissolvement but luckily have become once again important with his recent ASIAN MEETINGS. 
Otomo's new jazz orchestra is by far (outside of his soundtracks), his most famous and lucrative pursuit (it does help to have star KAHIMI KARII in the band) but in my heart, this band has the power to send you to jazz god but also drive you to the door. The first 2 times I saw the band, I was enthralled. The last time which was last year, was absolutely horrible. The room was totally packed with adoring fans but the only thing I wanted to do was leave. Otomo's music spoke to me in the past and I bought EVERYTHING with his name on it no matter how shitty. After coming to japan however with his change in music toward silence, though I still support him, there are often several concerts where I ask, what the hell are you doing? 
Otomo's greatest gift is not as a guitarist which is his most often used instrument recently but his arrangement and people skills. Trust me, if I played my guitar with feedback for an hour, not one person would come to see me. When Otomo does not touch a conventional instrument, his true powers arise. This past year, Otomo provided the live solo soundtrack to an experimental movie. The movie was shit but the soundtrack was heavenly!! It is only these times when I can remember why I love him. So here is a treasure to celebrate the good from the bad. I don't believe in telling a musician that everything they do is good. Criticism is sometimes necessary. Regardless, though to my knowledge this CD is not in print, it is one of the most important CD's he has ever produced. Sorry for it being separated. This is GROUND ZERO's last CD recorded live called :::::: GROUND ZERO - LAST CONCERT::::::

please note: if this CD is put into print again, this LINK will be terminated

http://rapidshare.com/files/258914645/01_Multi-Gravity-1.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/258914646/02_Multi-Gravity-2.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/258914647/03_Consume_Red.mp3.html

4 comments:

  1. YES! I LOVE YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I've been looking for this mother for over 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy to help a fellow fan. be sure to partake of the other stuff as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG Yoshihide fan here too. My favorite of his work was the 90's material. The 'silent music' has its appeal, but isn't as interesting to me as a listener. It is perhaps more interesting as a concept? It's very possible I am not as overstimulated as Yoshihide was... I can see why he might want some peace and quiet after making such incredible sound for so long!
    Thank you for posting this: consume red is a wonderful goodbye from this group.

    ReplyDelete